I got the idea for this dish from watching Chef Jet Tila and his lovely wife, Ali, cooking another stir-fry on YouTube. After changing a few ingredients this version of Beef Stir-Fry was born. Just be mindful of the heat and adjust the number of chilis to suit your taste.
- ½ lb of beef strips 1” X 4” X ⅛” thick
- I use up to ¼ lb Walmart stir-fry beef (per person)
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1½ cups Kale
- 1 Baby Bok Choy (thin sliced)
- 4 Scallions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs Ginger/Onion Oil (see directions below)
- 3 Tbs Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Homemade)
- (1 Tbs Sambal Oelek & 2 Tbs Chinese Sweet Chili Sauce)
- 1 Tbs Hot Chili Oil (I use Spicy Chili Crisp)
- 2 Tbs Shaoxing wine
- ⅓ Cup chicken stock (I use homemade)
- 1 Tbs sesame Oil
- Prep Beef
- Marinade Beef in a plastic bag for at least six hours (overnight is better)
– 2 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Oyster sauce
- 4 Minced Garlic Cloves (divided)
- 1 Tbs Catsup
- 1 tsp Shaoxing Wine
- 2 Tbs Sugar
- Prep vegetables (carrot, onion, pepper, Scallions, Kale and Baby Bok Choy)
- Cut onion into julienne slices
- Slice carrot on a bias (at an angle)
- Thin slice bell pepper into matchstick slices
- Thin slice Baby Bok Choy into matchstick slices
- Cut the white part of scallions into small pieces
- Cut the green part on a bias about ½” long
- In a small container make two Tbs of water/cornstarch slurry.
- Rule #1 for Stir-Frying. ALWAYS KEEP THE FOOD MOVING!*
- Heat oil in a wok until it shimmers
- Put half of garlic in wok and cook until fragrant.
- Add beef and marinade together, then stir-fry until it’s about ¾ done.
- Add rest of the vegetables in the following order; carrot, onion, and bell
- Next is sugar, then wine and chicken stock.
- Last is the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and Hot Chili Oil and mix. Stir-fry for
about one minute and add slurry. Keep stirring and moving until sauce is
- Plate and enjoy.
- corn oil
- 2" ginger (grate on med grate of box grater)
- 1/2 med onion (small chop)
- heat oil until shimmering (when one piece of onion dropped fries instantly)
- Drop onion and ginger in oil and cook for 5-7 min. (take care not to burn)
- Remove from heat and let cool - place in squeeze bottle in fridge
* Rule One is thanks to Chef Jet Tila
If you’re like me and live in a part of the country where there is no Asian store, then click here and visit my shopping page for Asian supplies/equipment.