Surf & Turf Stir-Fry
I combined a couple of recipes to come up with this one. I actually decided I wanted to figure this one out after a trip back to Hawaii to get married. You can adjust the spice level by changing the amount of Sambal and/or Spicy Chili Crisp. I also have to admit that I stole "Rule #1 from Chef Jet Tila.
- 2 thin cut chicken breasts
- 4/5 Colossal (21/25) Shrimp per person
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1½ - 2 cups Kale
- 4 Scallions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbs sugar
- ⅓ cup Water Chestnuts (drained)
- 1 Tbs Ginger/Onion Oil (see directions below)
- 3 Tbs Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Homemade)
- (1 Tbs Sambal Oelek & 2 Tbs Chinese Sweet Chili Sauce)
- 1 Tbs Hot Chili Oil (I use Spicy Chili Crisp)
- 2 Tbs Shaoxing wine
- ⅓ Cup chicken stock (I use homemade)
- 1 Tbs sesame Oil
- Prep chicken and shrimp
- Place chicken in a bowl
- Pour 2 Tbs water and ½ Tbsp sesame oil and ½ Tbs ginger/onion oil over chicken and message for
about 30 seconds and then sprinkle 2 tsp cornstarch over chicken and massage again for about 1
minute and leave in bowl.
- Place shrimp in another bowl and repeat the above procedure.
- Prep vegetables (carrot, onion, pepper, Scallions and garlic)
- Cut onion into julienne slices
- Slice carrot on a bias (at an angle)
- Thin slice bell pepper into matchstick slices
- Cut the white part of scallions into small pieces
- Cut the green part on a bias about ½” long
- Chop garlic into small dice
- In a small container make two Tbs of water/cornstarch slurry.
- Rule #1 for Stir-Frying. ALWAYS KEEP THE FOOD MOVING!
- Heat oil in a wok until it shimmers
- Put chicken in wok and stir-fry until it’s about ¾ done. Then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and Hot Chili Oil and mix with chicken. Add rest of the vegetables in the
following order; carrot, onion, and bell pepper. As you add vegetables, also add sugar, wine and
chicken stock. Stir-fry for about one minute and add slurry. Keep stirring until sauce is thickened.
Plate and enjoy.
- corn oil
- 2" ginger (grate on med grate of box grater)
- 1/2 med onion (small chop)
- heat oil until shimmering (when one piece of onion dropped fries instantly)
- Drop onion and ginger in oil and cook for 5 - 7 min. (take care not to burn)
- Remove from heat and let cool - place in squeeze bottle in fridge
If you’re like me and live in a part of the country where there is no Asian store, then click here and visit my shopping page for Asian supplies/equipment.