This is a dish my mother made for my father and I many times. She is one of those people that won’t eat spam, but, my Dad and I loved having this on a regular basis.
- 2 Slices of bread (your choice of type)
- 1 16oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can Spam (regular, Teriyaki, or Jalapeno)
- Sriracha sauce to taste (Optional)
- ½ medium red onion - medium dice
- ⅛ to ¼ can coconut milk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tbs sweet relish
- 1 tsp mustard (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (to taste)
- Scallion cut into small pieces (on a bias for garnish)
- Heat a large pan on med-high.
- Cut Spam into ½” to ¾” thick slices and place in pan.
- Cook Spam, on Med-high, until crisp on both sides and still soft in center then remove from heat.
- Lower heat to medium and pour kidney beans into pan followed by coconut milk and heat until
- Cut Spam into ½” cubes and put in pan.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (except cheese) into pan and bring to a light simmer.
- Toast bread, cut into 1" squares and place in center of plate.
- Put meat mixture on bread, then sprinkle cheese on top and finally scallion slices.
- Heat in toaster oven/Broiler to melt cheese and serve.
If you’re like me and live in a part of the country where there is no Asian store, then click here and visit my shopping page for Asian supplies/equipment.