This is a recipe based on some of those I saw online. I omitted some of the ingredients and added a couple to make it my own. This way I’m able to use it on more variable types of dishes. Believe me, it's worth the time and effort.
- 8oz Baby Bella mushrooms (sliced or rough chopped)
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs all purpose flour
- ½ cup Asian Cooking Stock* (or chicken stock)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp powdered chicken bouillon (my secret ingredient)
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a medium size pot over medium heat.
2. Add butter to pot and heat until melted.
3. Add flour and mix making a rue. Heat until rue is medium brown.
4. Add stock and stir until smooth.
5. Add onion powder and garlic powder
6. Stirring constantly, add milk slowly a little at a time to avoid lumps.
7. Bring gravy to a simmer.
8. Add mushrooms and continue to simmer.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Simmer stirring regularly until reduced to desired consistency.
Note: Cooking will take 30 to 45 minutes or until flour taste is gone.
* Asian cooking stock recipe here.