Fried Rice (Basic)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup red onion (rough chopped)
- 3 large chopped Baby Bella Mushrooms
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup frozen peas (optional)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 4 tbs salted butter (divided)
* Always rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear to remove waste and starch
1. Cook rice by whichever method you use for cooking rice. I suggest you add 2 tbs soy sauce to the
water before adding the rice.
2. If you’re using a cooker, follow the directions with the cooker. If you are using a pot, I suggest using
the 1st knuckle method. *See below
3. Put half the butter in a Wok or large pan and heat on med-high until it starts of foam.
4. Add rice and allow to heat (be careful not to burn). Toss rice or flip with spatula. Keep it moving and
only allow it to sit for a few seconds at most. When you see it starting to turn very slightly brown and
you notice a nutty smell transfer to a rice cooker or add water to wok.
5. When rice is finished cooking, remove from heat and set aside.
6. Add vegetable oil and 1 Tbs butter to a preheated (med-high) wok or large pan. (this should be the
vessel you will finish cooking in) When the oil/butter starts to shimmer add all vegetables to the wok.
Add half the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add half the rice and mix.
7. Create a hole by sliding all ingredients to edge of wok. Add two eggs to center and mix. Bring all
together rand mix thoroughly.
8. Sprinkle chicken powder on rice, add the rest of the soy sauce, oyster sauce and chicken stock. Mix
for last time.
9. Add the rest of the soy sauce and oyster sauce and mix again.
10. Plate and serve.
*First Knuckle method is a simple method the Chinese have been using for centuries. If it ain’t broke – don’t fix it. Add rice to pot, level it out and place your index finger so that it is touching the surface of the rice. Add enough water so that it comes up to your first knuckle. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.