Kalbi Ribs are the Korean version of short ribs and taste outstanding. Because they are a thin cut (Flanken Cut), they cook much quicker than the regular short ribs. The marinade takes many hours, up to three days, and creates a flavor second to none.
- 3 lbs Korean Ribs (AKA Flanken Ribs)
- ¼ cup Mirin
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbs Ketchup
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1" grated ginger
- ½ grated Asian Pear
- ½ yellow onion (small dice)
- 3 green onions (½" chop)
- Marinate meat for at least 24 hours. I prefer longer if possible (up to three days).
- Outdoors: Remove excess marinade and cook on hot grill for about 4 minutes on each side
- Indoors: Preheat oven on broil. Remove excess marinade and broil for 10 minutes on first side and 7 minutes on second.
- Strain marinade and place liquid in a small pot, bring to boil and reduce to simmer until it reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat and use to coat ribs.
- Plate with rice/fried rice*, Korean Corn Cheese** or Cole-slaw.
* See Asian section for recipe.
** See side dishes for recipe
If you’re like me and live in a part of the country where there is no Asian store, then click here and visit my shopping page for Asian supplies/equipment.